Saturday, August 14, 2010

RE/MAX at the movies

I spent the first couple days of this week out in Denver, attending the 2010 RE/MAX Broker Owner Conference. (My dad is the owner of our office, but because he was tied up doing deals, he allowed me to fill in for him and make the trip.)

As you might expect, a lot of the conference focused on rah-rah stuff: why RE/MAX is a powerful brand name, how its agents tend to sell quite a few more houses than agents affiliated with other franchises, etc. It was good to hear that, but I consider myself a pretty tough audience. Though no Debbie Downer, I have little stomach for saccharine-flavored messages that consist only of hype.

So I was encouraged when the RE/MAX corporate staff showed us a couple videos that had some wit, humor, and -- best of all -- a point. The first one was about how some non-RE/MAX franchises set up their agents in a pyramid structure:



Not bad, eh? Not quite up there with the legendary Alec Baldwin scene in Glengarry Glen Ross (the grand champion of movies about real estate, in the opinion of this modest Realtor talking in the third person), but definitely better than I was expecting.

The other video they showed us was about how consumers see the RE/MAX name everywhere these days:



After this second video ended, they brought the director up on stage. Turns out he's a real estate agent who's always loved filmmaking, so he just shot what he knows. I think that's why these videos work.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nick, Aren't those Re/Max videos so funny! So glad to see Re/Max create these videos that spell out the diffence between Re/max and other companies. If you have someone moving to the Dayton Ohio area let us know.

    ReplyDelete